Ole Gunnar Solskjaer ‘needs help’ and should bring in Roy Keane to ‘sort out’ Manchester United, Harry Redknapp claims, as Red Devils ‘aren’t working hard enough’
Roy Keane is the perfect man to fire up the Manchester United players, and the Old Trafford legend should be added to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s management team.
That’s according to Harry Redknapp, who has accused the current United squad of ‘not working hard enough’, looking like a team in dire need of a rocket from the Irishman.
The Norwegian was under huge pressure following last weekend’s nightmare against Liverpool, where the boss suffered the low point of his three-year tenure with a 5-0 defeat at home to their arch rivals.
Solskjaer got a reaction from his players by beating Tottenham 3-0 on Saturday and that may have brought him a little more time.
For many, though, the opinion is that the writing is on the wall for the coach who is simply just out of his depth.
Redknapp, though, believes the United legend and former striker merely needs help in the dugout, and he says there’s a Old Trafford icon who is readymade for the task.
“It was interesting last week listening to all the pundits talk about Ole’s situation at Man United,” former Tottenham manager Redknapp told the Weekend Sports Breakfast.
“I went with Graeme Souness, I think he needs a bit of help. I’m not saying his staff are not good lads and good, but they look to me as a very quiet group.
“I know Michael Carrick very well, I love Michael, he’s a fantastic footballer and a great person and he’s got other people around him.
“Sometimes you can’t be afraid to think that another bit of help coming in, it will help me and help the team.
“I just think he maybe needs somebody else, a different [character] alongside him in the group to help them.
“He looked a lonely figure last week standing on that touchline.
“Do you know who’d I take at Manchester United? Everyone’s going to think I’m absolutely mad, but I’d bring in Roy Keane.
“If I was Ole I’d think to myself, he won’t mess around and he’ll sort one or two out.”
Redknapp knows the value of having a trusted No.2, having enjoyed a long-standing partnership with a number of assistant coaches, including Joe Jordan – his fiery Scottish general who brought a sense of discipline and fear in the dressing room and on the touchline [just ask Gennaro Guttuso].
Sir Alex Ferguson also had a steady rotation of number twos, bringing different voices and ideas to his backroom team throughout his ultra successful 27 years in charge at Old Trafford.
“I had Joe Jordan at Spurs, I employed people like Glenn Hoddle, I brought in Steve McClaren who was the ex-England manager,” added Redknapp.
Asked if a character like Keane would upset an already delicately balanced dressing room, he also said: “Listen, if they start winning football matches… Ole can sit in his manager’s office on Saturday afternoons, I wouldn’t care as long as we can start winning and get a few results.
“I just think one or two of them are really low, the team is near the bottom on running stats and challenges, they need someone to come in and say, ‘listen, forget all this about pressing and all these different tactics, when you lose the ball, run after it, make some tackles’.
“It’s quite basic really. We all get carried away with different tactics and ideas but their biggest problem is obviously that they’re just not working hard enough.
“They have to start working hard with the ball and without the ball.”
talkSPORT host Tony Cascarino knows all about what Keane can bring to the dressing room – he shared one with the former midfielder for years with the Republic of Ireland national team.
But he admitted the question is whether his combative style will help get a reaction from the current Man United squad, or break their spirits even further.
“There’s a method to the madness, where you think Roy would ruffle a few feathers, because he would, he would say it and he would be open,” said Cascarino.
“It’s whether or not that dressing can handle that sort of character, that’s the big if, and whether Ole Gunnar Solskjaer can handle it, too.”
October 31, 2021 at 01:00PM Premier League Football Fixtures and Results - talkSPORT https://ift.tt/3u9h8Xr






Comments
Post a Comment