Frank Lampard is man Everton want as new manager, talkSPORT understands, as former Chelsea boss set for return to Premier League

https://ift.tt/30kQalx

Frank Lampard is the man Everton want as their new manager, talkSPORT understands.

Lampard came out as the leading candidate after a final round of interviews in London on Friday.

Lampard was sacked by Chelsea just over a year ago

Getty

Lampard was sacked by Chelsea just over a year ago

The former Chelsea chief has lined up a very experienced backroom team to join him at Goodison Park and even cancelled a family trip abroad to attend the interview in person.

Lampard was one of three candidates who made the final shortlist drawn up by Everton owner Farhad Moshiri along with ex-Porto title winner Vitor Pereira and caretaker-boss Duncan Ferguson.

Everton want to formally appoint Rafa Benitez’s successor this weekend in time for Monday’s transfer deadline.

Rooney said he had turned down the opportunity to have an interview with the Toffees

GETTY

Rooney said he had turned down the opportunity to have an interview with the Toffees

The 43-year-old is expected to be in place for next Saturday’s FA Cup fourth round tie against Brentford.

Former Everton player Wayne Rooney was also a candidate but the Derby boss pulled out of the running for the job.

Speaking on Friday morning, Simon Jordan told talkSPORT that it is a fantastic opportunity for the ex-midfielder, who won the Premier League three times as a player.

“I think Frank has always had that motivation over the years, he wants to be the best,” said the former Crystal Palace chairman.

“Again, I go back to when he was a footballer, what he achieved in his career wasn’t luck.

Lampard will be keen to right some wrongs from his time with his former club, Chelsea

GETTY

Lampard will be keen to right some wrongs from his time with his former club, Chelsea

“The goals he scored – it was pure hard work and I think he will be exactly the same as a manager.

“I’m sure Duncan Ferguson will be heavily involved in Everton but he’s got Jody Morris and people like that.

“I think he’s another Steven Gerrard. I think Steven Gerrard’s doing a wonderful job at Aston Villa, he’s going to be a top, top

“This is a fantastic opportunity. Look at Everton, really underperforming over the last five or six years with the people they’ve brought in, the recruitment hasn’t been good enough.

“But if you can get the right manager, who knows exactly what kind of player he needs, then I think Frank could be a great [appointment].”

Get The EDGE

talkSPORT EDGE is the free football app that keeps you one step ahead of your mates with short, sharp and shareable content.

Stay up to date with everything going on in the football world with breaking news, live scores and in-app betting.

How can I get it?

It’s available on iPhone and Android devices.

For iPhone, download talkSPORT EDGE via the App Store here.

For Android, download talkSPORT EDGE via the Play Store here.

Adblock test (Why?)



January 29, 2022 at 02:33AM Premier League Football Fixtures and Results - talkSPORT https://ift.tt/3u9h8Xr

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘I have energy’ – Fans fear Pep Guardiola will follow Jurgen Klopp but recent comments suggest otherwise

Liverpool 1-1 Leicester City: Reds fail to go seven points clear of Manchester City with lacklustre draw