Jurgen Klopp’s ‘incredible connection’ with Liverpool fans, Brendan Rodgers up there with Pep Guardiola, pints with Manchester United legend Sir Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho – Middlesbrough boss Chris Wilder on top Premier League managers
Chris Wilder has had a stellar managerial career so far, from leading Northampton Town out of League Two to achieving promotion to the Premier League with Sheffield United.
Throughout his time across the top four tiers of English football, the 54-year-old has faced countless managers, whether they’re young upstarts or dugout Goliaths.
He’s battled it out with the likes of Pep Guardiola, Jurgen Klopp, and Jose Mourinho, even managing a win against the latter.
It’s been an incredible ride for Wilder, who is now back in the Championship, attempting to get Middlesbrough back into the Premier League.
Speaking exclusively to talkSPORT host, and good friend, Tony Cascarino, the Boro gaffer revealed all about those he’s faced off against.
So who are the smartest, the great communicators, and the ones he’d love to have a pint with? We find out in a game of ‘Who’s The Boss?’…
Who would you class as a ‘tactical genius’?
“I would say everybody has to be competent and above competent to manage at the highest level,” Wilder explained, “but I think you take it to another level and you talk about the likes of Pep Guardiola.
“Brendan Rodgers for me was an incredibly good tactician, the way he played different formations, played different ways. On the balance when you’ve got the best players in the world, there has to be a structure out there but sometimes big moments from world-class players decide games.
“You’re only as good as your players, but I think the balance from the Manchester City manager and the Leicester City manager is right up there for me.”
The best communicator on the touchline?
Wilder said: “I only had a brief encounter with Thomas Tuchel, I think it was one of the first games that he managed for Chelsea against us, so I was really impressed with him.
“There were a few communicators with the referee which I can’t mention on here… but I think people have got to see it, to work at the Premier League and Championship level, even in League One and League Two levels there’s some really talented managers that tactically see it and have that ability to change it.
“I think that’s very impressive”.
The manager you would have loved to play for?
“I think Jurgen Klopp has got an incredible connection with the supporters, he builds that, that isn’t just luck or that it just works out that way, he builds that relationship with the fans of Liverpool, an incredible club,” Wilder cooed.
“But I think you can see the connection he has for the players as well. You have to have that trust, you have to have that honesty, which I believe he will have and being on the same wavelength.
“I think that’s possibly one of the hardest challenges for the ‘middle-aged’ of management, the likes of Roy Hodgson and Sir Alex [Ferguson] and Arsene Wenger when they were managing late into their careers they were still in touch with the younger boys.”
The boss who has given you best hospitality post match?
“Paul Cook, definitely. He’s world-class at that. I’ve been his office until 11-12pm and he’s been in my office until 11-12pm.
“There are some really good guys, they see it as it is. Some don’t come in and have a beer but there are some really good guys. At times football people don’t get the press they deserve.
“We know how hard it is to carve a career out and then whatever way you want to go, whether it’s the hard route like myself that goes into coaching and managing,” Wilder laughed, “or take the easy route and just ask questions like you do, Cas.”
Which fellow manager would take for a pint at your local in Sheffield?
“I’ve got to say my favourite of all time was Sir Alex Ferguson. I think he’s just different class, I’ll pay for it don’t worry about that, I’ll find the cash,” he joked.
“Sir Alex was my all-time favourite, Jose Mourinho as well and his attitude towards the game and just being a serial winner, another one that I shake my head at when he gets criticised.
“What he’s done at every club he’s been at. Some don’t work out for various reasons but the man doesn’t lose his magic in my opinion. Going into clubs and doing what he does, does he stay for 10, 15 years? No, but that’s how he manages.
“He wants to go in and he win things and that’s not a fluke”.
Betting Offer Of The Day
WILLIAM HILL - Get 20/1 for 1+ TD to be scored in Bengals @ Chiefs (Mobile Only)
18+. Play Safe. New customers using EPTD20. Mobile only. Applies to bets placed from 09:00 27 January 2022 until 20:00 on 30 January 2022. Max £1 bet at 20/1. Returns paid as 2 x £10 free bets (30 day expiry). Player & currency restrictions & terms apply. BeGambleAware.Org
January 29, 2022 at 10:51PM Premier League Football Fixtures and Results - talkSPORT https://ift.tt/3u9h8Xr







Comments
Post a Comment