‘He was a joke in training’ – Arsenal star Reiss Nelson’s ‘elite mentality’ praised by former Gunner Alex Iwobi

https://ift.tt/s38JUdS

Everton’s Alex Iwobi has praised the ‘elite mentality’ of Arsenal super-sub Reiss Nelson.

Iwobi, who played for the Gunners from 2015 to 2019 after graduating from their academy, discussed a number of his old club’s stars, but made sure to single-out one lesser-mentioned name.

Iwobi was discussing his old team

the beautiful game podcast

Iwobi was discussing his old team

He made sure to praise Nelson

Getty

He made sure to praise Nelson

Nelson, a fellow academy graduate, has made 11 appearances this season for the Premier League leaders, with six of those from the bench.

He still has three goals and three assists in that time, with the highlight a stunning 97th minute winner against Bournemouth from 2-1 down.

That was Nelson’s first appearance in four months after an injury, but Iwobi wasn’t surprised to see it.

“He was a joke in training,” the Nigeria midfielder explained on The Beautiful Game Podcast.

“He used to do bare tricks, sometimes they’d say to him ‘Reiss it’s only three touch’ and he’d still be twisting up man but still creating a chance.

“He’s another one who has that raw street ability and I have to give it to him, he’s been patient.

Nelson scored a gigantic goal in the title race

Getty

Nelson scored a gigantic goal in the title race

“I think before we played them and he wasn’t even playing, he was just chilling, and I have to respect that, every time he’s come on to play he’s delivered, I think he’s been the most impactful sub this season, so I have to give it to him.

“For someone to be able to do that and not be playing regularly, to have that elite mindset to know that you’re going into a game and I’m going to do my thing and make sure I help the team win, I have to rate it.”

Adblock test (Why?)



March 28, 2023 at 02:18PM Premier League Table, Fixtures, News, Results, Opinion - talkSPORT https://talksport.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘I have energy’ – Fans fear Pep Guardiola will follow Jurgen Klopp but recent comments suggest otherwise

Liverpool 1-1 Leicester City: Reds fail to go seven points clear of Manchester City with lacklustre draw